In this episode, we chat with Maya Chupkov, host of the Proud Stutter podcast to learn how Maya grew her podcast by leveraging PR tactics to get free media coverage for her podcast.
After graduating from the University of San Francisco with a Master in Public Affairs, Maya founded Proud Stutter, a podcast and advocacy organization The show is about changing how we understand and talk about stuttering, one conversation at a time.
As a podcaster, since launching her first episode in October 2021, Maya has completed one season, secured over 20,000 downloads, appeared in over 60 news outlets and newsletters, and published over 30 episodes. Proud Stutter has also appeared on Apple Podcast’s New & Noteworthy, The Guardian’s Top 5 Podcasts of the Week list, and featured on NPR.
Maya is an entrepreneur focused on changing the world for the better for people who stutter. Maya is the Media & Democracy Program Manager for California Common Cause. She produces the organization’s show, Democracy Is.
Top 4 growth hacks we learned from Maya…
- Invite guest co-hosts to help create content, and increase exposure for that episode by reaching your co-host’s followers.
- Pitch media outlets based on special events, news, or holidays that line up with your specific podcast topic.
- Build personal relationships with journalists directly. Keep following up. Keep pitching them ideas. Your persistence will eventually pay off.
- Apply to be featured on the major podcast directories
Follow Maya Chupkov and Proud Stutter
- Website / proudstutter.com
- Twitter / @ProudStutter
- Instagram / @proudstutter
- PR Services / https://proudstutter.com/services
- Proud Stutter In The Press / https://proudstutter.com/press
- Maya’s PR Tips on Medium / https://medium.com/@proudstutter
Follow Pat Cheung and Podcast Growth Hacks
- Twitter / @patcheung
- Website / podcastgrowthhacks.com
Visit Our Sponsor
- PodInbox / Get a Free Podcast Fan Page / podinbox.com